So, we're on school holidays now, for two weeks (I think). This is our first school holidays so we don't really know what we are doing, probably not a lot.
On the second to last day of school they had an Easter Hat parade. I went to Spotlight and bought a plastic hat and various bits of paraphenalia and stuck it on. Baden was absolutely thrilled with my creation and announced that he was sure to win.
When we got to school that day it became very apparent that he wasn't going to win anything, lol. Holy cow, who knew that the Easter Hat competition was a parental competitive sport? It seems that the school has a bit of a culture around this event, some of the creations were breathtaking, the skills and time taken, not to mention the size of these monstrosities sitting on top of these little kids heads. It was a sight to behold. Baden was still so proud of his hat though, which was the main thing, and of course he didn't win but he had a lot of fun. We went to the school lunch (a dreadful sausage sizzle but I had been forewarned about the quality of the sausages so I ate my lunch before I went), and then we watched the parade. It did seem to drag on for a while but it was great to see all the kids having fun and watching the faces of the parents who didn't win after spending obviously a hell of a lot of time making their kid's hat!! ha ha ha. Cheap thrills.
I happened to chat with Baden's teacher and in the course of the conversation she mentioned that they were at school on the Thursday as well, which was news to me, lol, I thought it was the last day on Wednesday, so that was lucky! I need to read the newsletters more carefully!
We also went to his parent teacher interview. He isn't gifted at anything, we all know that, but his teacher said he was an absolute delight to teach, did everything he was asked to do, was a quick learner and was popular with the other kids in the class. What more could you ask for. She also said that we had "done a good job", which was lovely. He does seem to be doing very well, is picking up reading really well and is enthusiastic about reading and writing, and he likes school and has made some specific friends. So its all good.

No comments:
Post a Comment